Cookware We Use:Instant Pot Duo CrispInstant Pot DuoAir Fryer LidInstant Vortex PlusOil Sprayer BottleMeat Thermometer
2 chickens (4 legs + 4 thighs)
2 tsp Olive Oil
1 cup Yogurt
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Onion powder
1 tbsp Paprika
1 tsp Salt
Chili Garlic Sauce
2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 tbsp Chili Garlic Sauce
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Estimated values based on one serving size.|
Place the chicken into a bowl and season with 1/4 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
Add the yogurt and mix the chicken until evenly coated
Allow the chicken to marinate in the fridge for 20 minutes
In a separate bowl mix together the panko, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and salt
Batter the chicken by placing it into the dredging mixture and shaking to coat the entire piece
Place the coated chicken on a rack over top a baking sheet and let it rest for 5 minutes
Place the air fryer basket into the Instant Pot and spray with oil
Add the chicken to the air fryer basket and spray each piece with oil
Place the air fryer lid on the Instant Pot and Air Fry at 350ºF for 28 minutes flipping the chicken mid-way through cooking
Remove the fried chicken from the air fryer and drizzle with chili garlic sauce
In a separate bowl mix together 2 tbsp of olive oil and 2 tbsp of chili garlic sauce
Chili Garlic Sauce
Air Fryer Chili Garlic Chicken
This Air Fryer Chili Garlic Fried Chicken is a savory fried chicken recipe served with a spicy chili garlic sauce. Using the Instant Pot Duo Crisp, very little oil is used to create this succulent crispy golden chicken. Marinated in yogurt to keep the chicken moist, then coated in panko and air fried to crunchy golden perfection, you would never know this tender juicy chicken wasn't deep-fried. This quick and easy recipe is finished by coating the crispy chicken in a flavorful chili garlic sauce giving this delicious Air Fried Chicken a spicy Asian twist.
What is an air fryer?
An air fryer is a small appliance similar to a convection oven that circulates hot air around the food to give it a crispy texture and browned appearance. Multi-functional One-Pot devices such as the Instant Pot Duo Crisp have heating coil lids that also enables them to air crisp food using a specially designed air fryer basket. The compact space allows these devices to heat up quickly and facilitates faster cooking. Hot air from the top heating coil circulates down and around the food achieving the fried flavor and crispy texture similar to that of deep-frying without the need to use a lot of oil.
Is Air Fried Chicken healthy?
Air fryers use little to no oil when cooking making them a healthier alternative to deep-frying. For people who routinely eat fried foods like french fries and fried chicken, using an air fryer to cook is a great option to reduce the number of calories and fat. Air Fried Chicken has the same crispy golden coating and delicious succulent flavor as a chicken that has been deep-fried however it's a much healthier option since it's not submerged in oil to cook.
Tips for the best Air Fried Chicken
- Marinate the chicken anywhere between 1-24 hours for even more tender and flavorful chicken
- Season the batter with spices for better flavor
- Let the coated chicken rest for 5 minutes so the coating has time to set before air-frying
- Place the chicken in the air fry basket and make sure to leave enough space between the pieces so the hot air can circulate to cook the chicken evenly
- Spray the chicken with oil before air-frying to get a nice crispy golden texture (we like the EVO Oil Sprayer Bottle because it's a reusable non-aerosol oil sprayer and dispenses 1/4 tsp with every trigger pull)
- Flip the chicken half-way through cooking so it crisps evenly on both sides
- Always double-check that the chicken is fully cooked to an internal temperature of at least 165ºF using a Meat Thermometer
Can you make Air Fried Chicken low carb/keto?
It's very simple to turn Air Fryer Chicken into a low carb/keto dish for all to enjoy. If you're on a ketogenic diet and looking for higher fat content, use full-fat yogurt or heavy cream when marinating the chicken. If you're looking to go low carb, you can use almond flour in place of all-purpose flour if using the traditional egg, flour, breadcrumb technique to dredge the chicken. You can also substitute the panko or breadcrumbs with shredded parmesan cheese or grind up some pork rinds to coat the chicken.
Can you make Air Fried Chicken ahead of time?
When properly stored, Air Fried Chicken will last in the fridge for 3-4 days. This is a great make-ahead recipe you can make in large batches and then meal-prep into smaller portions to be enjoyed for lunches or dinner. Air Fried Chicken also freezes well when stored in an air-tight container or heavy-duty freezer bags. When ready to serve, simply thaw the chicken for a few hours at room temperature and reheat in the air fryer. Alternatively, you can re-heat Air Fried Chicken from frozen in the air fryer, it will simply require some additional cooking time to evenly heat the chicken throughout.
What if I don't have an Instant Pot Duo Crisp?
This Air Fryer Chicken recipe was made using an Instant Pot Duo Crisp as this multi-functional One-Pot pressure cooker also has an air fry lid. You can also make this recipe using any Instant Pot compatible with an Air Fryer Lid to achieve the same results. If you don't have a pressure cooker with air fryer function you can also use a stand-alone air fryer like the Instant Vortex Plus which has the same features. Whichever device you use, this Air Fryer Chili Garlic Fried Chicken recipe is sure to impress and will have people asking for more!
- If you want extra tender chicken, you can marinate the meat in the fridge from anywhere between 1-24 hours
- Before air frying the chicken, spray the chicken with oil to give it a golden crispy texture. We like the EVO Oil Sprayer Bottle, a reusable non-aerosol oil sprayer that accurately dispenses 1/4 tsp with every trigger pull.
- Broil the chicken for 2 minutes if you want it extra crispy skin
- Always check that the chicken is fully cooked to an internal temperature of 165ºF using a meat thermometer. We like to use the ThermoPro TP03 Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer as we find that it's easy to use and the readings are fast and accurate.
- This recipe was made with an Instant Pot Duo Crisp, a multi-use programmable cooker that can pressure cook, saute, slow cook, steam, sous vide, air fry, roast, bake, broil and dehydrate.
- If you don't have the air fryer function on your pressure cooker you can use any Instant Pot compatible with an Air Fryer Lid
- Alternatively, this recipe can also be made using a stand-alone air fryers like the Instant Vortex Plus that can air fry, broil, bake, roast and dehydrate.