Cookware We Use:Ninja FoodiInstant Pot Duo CrispInstant Pot DuoAir Fryer LidInstant Vortex PlusNinja Air FryerOil Sprayer BottleNinja Cook & Crisp Basket Insert
1 Whole chicken (breast, thigh, drumstick)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2tbsp garlic power
2 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp paprika
2 eggs, whisked
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup All-purpose flour
1/2 cup corn starch
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Estimated values based on one serving size.|
Combine all spice ingredients and mix
Combine flour, corn starch, and 1/3 spice mix
Sprinkle spice mixture on the chicken
Dredge chicken into the flour
Set aside and let it rest for 5 minutes
Whisk together eggs and buttermilk
Add chicken to egg mixture, and place it for a final flour dredge
Set aside and let it rest for 5 minutes
Preheat Ninja Foodi on Air Crisp, 325ºF
Layer chicken on the bottom of the Ninja Foodi Cook & Crisp basket and then on top of the Cook & Crisp insert rack
Spray the chicken with oil
Air Crisp for 25 minutes or until it reaches desired crispiness
Air Fryer Fried Chicken
This air fried chicken has a golden crispy coating and is moist and juicy inside. This quick and simple air fried chicken recipe uses little to no oil resulting in a healthy meal your entire family will love. Coated with flour, cornstarch and a wonderful mixture of spices, this crunchy succulent chicken has a savory flavor perfect for all to enjoy.
What is an air fryer?
An air fryer is a small appliance similar to a convection oven that circulates hot air around the food to give it a crispy texture and browned appearance. Multi-function One-pot devices such as the Ninja Foodi or Instant Pot Duo Crisp have heating coil lids that also enable them to air crisp food using a specially designed air crisp basket. The compact space allows these devices to heat up quickly and facilitates faster cooking. Hot air from the top heating coil circulates down and around the food achieving the fried flavor and crispy texture similar to that of deep-frying without the need to use a lot of oil.
Is Air Fried Chicken healthy?
Air fryers use little to no oil when cooking making them a healthier alternative to deep-frying. For people who routinely eat fried foods like french fries and fried chicken, using an air fryer to cook is a great option to reduce the number of calories and fat. Air fried chicken has the same crispy golden coating and delicious succulent flavor as a chicken that has been deep-fried however it’s a much healthier option since it’s not submerged in oil to cook.
How to make Fried Chicken with a crispy batter?
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towel so the coating will stick
- Season the batter with spices for better flavor
- Use a 1:1 mixture of flour and cornstarch for the breading- the cornstarch will help create a really crispy texture
- Dredge the chicken in the flour/cornstarch breading
- PRO TIP: Let it sit for 5 minutes for the coating to stick
- Add buttermilk to the egg mixture to help tenderize the chicken and keep it moist
- Dip the chicken in the buttermilk/egg mixture and dredge the chicken in a second coat of the flour/cornstarch breading for an extra crispy coating
- PRO TIP: Let the coated chicken rest for 5 minutes so the coating has time to set before frying
- Place the chicken in the air fry basket and make sure to leave enough space between the pieces so the hot air can circulate evenly to cook the chicken
- Spray the chicken with some oil before air frying to get a nice crispy golden texture (we like the Evo Oil Sprayer Bottle because its a reusable non-aerosol oil sprayer and it dispenses 1/4 tsp with every trigger pull)
How many minutes do I need to air fry fried chicken?
Set the air fryer to 325ºF and air fry the chicken for 25 minutes. Every piece will be different so make sure each one has reached an internal temperature of at least 165ºF. White meat will be the juiciest at 165ºF and dark meat can be cooked to 170ºF for the best texture.
What if I don’t have a Ninja Foodi?
This Air Fryer Chicken recipe was made using the Ninja Foodi as this multi-functional One-Pot pressure cooker also has an air crisp lid. You can also make this recipe using an Instant Pot Duo Crisp or any Instant Pot compatible with an Air Fryer Lid. If you don’t have a pressure cooker with air fryer function you can also use a stand-alone air fryer like the Instant Vortex Plus or Ninja Air Fryer which have the same features. Whichever device you use, this Air Fryer Fried Chicken recipe is sure to impress and will have people asking for more!
- Before air crisping the chicken, spray the chicken with oil to give it a golden crispy texture. We like the Evo Oil Sprayer Bottle, a reusable non-aerosol oil sprayer that accurately dispenses 1/4 tsp with every trigger pull.
- When layering the chicken in the Cook & Crisp basket we used the Ninja Cook & Crisp Basket Insert to help maximize useable cooking space.
- This recipe was made using the Ninja Foodi, a programmable multi-use pressure cooker that can also steam, saute, slow cook, dehydrate, bake, broil, roast and air crisp.
- You can also make this recipe with an Instant Pot Duo Crisp, a multi-use programmable cooker that can pressure cook, saute, slow cook, steam, sous vide, air fry, roast, bake, broil and dehydrate.
- If you don't have the air fryer function on your pressure cooker you can use any Instant Pot compatible with an Air Fryer Lid
- Alternatively, this recipe can also be made using a stand-alone air fryers like the Instant Vortex Plus or Ninja Air Fryer which can air fry, broil, bake, roast and dehydrate.