3 ripe bananas (mashed)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1/4 cup yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Estimated values based on one serving size.|
Line a loaf pan with parchment paper
Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl
In another bowl use a mixer to cream the butter together with the granulated and brown sugar
Add in the eggs and vanilla
Slowly mix in the dry ingredients
Add the yogurt and mashed banana to the mixture
Fold all the ingredients together until well mixed (be careful not to over-mix)
Optional: Add in chocolate chips, chopped nuts or dried fruit
Pour the batter into the loaf pan and tap the pan on the counter a few times to release any air bubbles
Place the loaf pan on a trivet into the Instant Pot and apply the Air Fry lid
Bake at 325ºF for 30 minutes
After 30 minutes, remove the loaf pan and cover it with foil to prevent the top from burning
Return the loaf pan into the Instant Pot and bake at 325ºF for another 30 minutes
Remove the foil and bake uncovered for 5-10 minutes or until fully cooked
Use a thermometer to check that the bottom, middle and sides of the loaf are fully cooked (The temperature should read between 200ºF-210ºF)
Remove the loaf pan from the Instant Pot and let it cool for 20 minutes
Using the parchment paper, pull the banana bread out of the loaf pan and let it cool at room temperature
Instant Pot Baked Banana Bread
Banana bread is a delicious and comforting staple when it comes to baking, and there is nothing better than the flavorful aroma of freshly baked banana bread wafting throughout the kitchen. Many Instant Pot Banana Bread recipes use the Pressure Cook feature to "steam-bake" banana bread and it results in a moist and denser bread. Using the Instant Pot Duo Crisp our Banana Bread recipe makes use of the Air Fryer lid's Bake feature to create a deliciously rich and moist banana bread with a lighter texture. This easy to make recipe is a great way to use up your ripening bananas, and makes for a great breakfast, dessert, or snack any time of the day!
Why make Banana Bread in the Instant Pot?
There are many great reasons why you would choose to make Banana Bread in your Instant Pot
- It's easy and fun!
- It free's up space in your oven for other baking needs
- It's a good alternative to use on hot days when you don't feel like turning on the oven or heating up your kitchen
- It's a great portable option to use in a dorm room, hotel, while camping, in your RV, or on a road trip (all you need is an outlet)
- It's a good option to use if you don't have an oven or are under-going a kitchen renovation
How to ripen bananas quickly for baking
There always seems to be a few bananas we can't eat before the skins start to freckled or turn soft and brown. These ripe bananas are perfect for making banana bread since ripened bananas make the banana bread even more flavorful. It's also a good idea to freeze your peeled ripened bananas and save them for times when you need to make banana bread. If however, you don't have any ripe bananas on hand, you can easily ripen bananas quickly in the oven following the steps below:
- Place the unripened bananas (unpeeled) on a parchment-lined baking sheet
- Bake the bananas at 300ºF for 20-30 minutes until the skins turn shiny and black
- Let the bananas cool, then peel the skin and mash before adding to the banana bread batter
Tips for the Best Banana Bread
- Use ripe (soft and brown) bananas for richer banana flavor
- Add yogurt or sour cream to add moisture to the banana bread
- Use softened butter when making the batter, you can also use oil but butter provides a richer flavor
- Sift the flour and other dry ingredients for a lighter overall texture
- Do not over-mix: simply mix the ingredients until just incorporated and then fold the bananas into the batter
- Line your bread pan with parchment paper to make it easier to remove the banana bread after baking
- Mid-way through baking, place foil over the top of the bread to prevent the top from browning too quickly while the interior continues to cook. Remove the foil 5-10 minutes before the bread is done baking to allow the top to fully brown and crisp.
- Use a thermometer to check the doneness of the banana bread. Test a few spots in the bread and make sure the temperature has reached at least 200ºF-210ºF
- Store the banana bread in an air-tight container to preserve its freshness and flavor
What else can I add to my Banana Bread?
This banana bread recipe uses ingredients most commonly found in our pantries, but the great thing about banana bread is it's a very forgiving recipe that allows for a lot of variation. So, if you're short on some of the ingredients, you can play with the base ingredients and still enjoy a deliciously moist and flavorful banana bread. Here are a few great add-ins or substitutions you can try:
- chocolate chips
- chopped nuts (pecans/walnuts)
- rolled oats
- dried fruits (cranberries/raisins)
- whole/ground flax or chia seeds
- Flour: try different types of flour for healthy or low carb diets (whole wheat/whole-grain/almond)
- Butter: use margarine, vegetable oil, coconut oil, or shortening for moisture
- Yogurt: use sour cream, mayonnaise or coconut milk for added moisture
- Sugar: use honey, maple syrup or other sweeteners
- Eggs: use apple sauce or vegetable oil
How to store Banana Bread
Banana Bread retains its flavor and moisture when stored properly in an air-tight container for 3-4 days. It also freezes well to preserve its freshness, flavor, and texture. Once the bread has completely cooled, store the entire loaf or pre-cut slices in a freezer-friendly storage container or freezer bag. Pull the bread out to thaw at room temperature for a few hours or reheat it in the oven or microwave before serving.
What if I don't have an Instant Pot Duo Crisp?
This Banana Bread recipe was made using an Instant Pot Duo Crisp as this multi-functional One-Pot pressure cooker also has an air fryer lid with a Bake function. You can also make this recipe using any Instant Pot compatible with an Air Fryer Lid to achieve the same results. If you don't have a One-Pot cooker with a Bake function or prefer to use a conventional oven, simply bake the banana bread uncovered in the oven at 350ºF for about 60 minutes or until browned. Check a few spots in the loaf with a thermometer to check the doneness of the bread. Ensure that the internal temperature has reached 200ºF-210ºF before removing from the oven and let the banana bread cool at room temperature.
- Any 8"x 4" loaf pan can be used for this recipe. We recommend the Fat Daddio's bread pan as this sturdy bakeware reaches baking temperatures faster and distributes heat evenly throughout the pan
- We recommend using a thermometer to check if the banana bread is fully cooked. Check a few spots in the loaf and make sure the temperature reads between 200ºF-210ºF before removing the pan from the Instant Pot. We like to use the ThermoPro TP03 Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer as we find that it's easy to use and the readings are fast and accurate.
- This recipe was made using an Instant Pot Duo Crisp, a multi-use programmable cooker that can pressure cook, saute, slow cook, steam, sous vide, air fry, roast, bake, broil and dehydrate.
- If your Instant Pot doesn't have an Air Fryer lid, you can make this recipe using any Instant Pot compatible with an Air Fryer Lid to achieve the same results.