1 Chicken, whole
2 Large Potatoes
2 Bell Peppers
1 cup Water
2 tsp Olive Oil
Herb Butter Marinade
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Thyme
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/2 cup Melted Butter
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Estimated values based on one serving size.|
Combine salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, thyme and oregano into a bowl
Add the melted butter and whisk all ingredients together
Dice the potatoes into cubes
Place the diced potatoes into a 8"pan and mix with 3 tbsp of the herb butter sauce
Coat the chicken cavity with 2 tbsp of marinade
Run a spoon under the chicken skin to separate the skin from the breast meat
Add 1 tbsp of marinade under the skin of each chicken breast and gently massage into the meat
Rub marinade on both the top and bottom of the chicken
Let the chicken marinate for 10 minutes
Place a trivet and 1 cup of water into the Instant Pot
Place the potatoes into the Instant Pot and lay the chicken on top
Place the pressure lid and pressure cook on High for 25 minutes
Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes and then manually release any remaining pressure
Remove the chicken and drain the liquid from the potatoes
Spray the air fryer basket with oil and place it into the empty Instant Pot
Place the chicken into the air fryer basket
Sprinkle the chicken with paprika and spray some oil onto the skin
Apply the Air Fryer lid and air fry the chicken at 400ºF for 15 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF
Remove the chicken and let it rest for 10-15 minutes
Place the potatoes onto a trivet in the Instant Pot
Apply the Air Fryer lid and air fry the potatoes for 10 minutes at 400 ºF mixing them mid-way through cooking
Remove the potatoes and set aside
Chop the red peppers and place them into a pan in the Instant Pot
Mix the peppers with some of the leftover chicken juices
Apply the Air Fryer lid and air fry the peppers at 400ºF for 8 minutes mixing them mid-way through cooking
Serve the roast chicken with the air fried potatoes and peppers
Instant Pot Roast Chicken & Potatoes
There is nothing more delicious than tender juicy chicken with crispy golden skin. Our Roast Chicken and Potatoes recipe is a quick and easy meal that can be made using the Instant Pot Duo Crisp. This One-Pot meal takes advantage of the multiple functions of the Instant Pot by first pressure cooking the chicken and potatoes and then air frying them to give a crispy golden texture. Slathered in savory herb butter, the chicken is moist and juicy on the inside with a delectably golden crispy skin. This Roast Chicken served with crisp air fried potatoes and sweet bell peppers is a wholesome One-Pot meal your entire family will love.
Tips for the Best Roast Chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towel to help the marinade stick
- Prepare a flavorful marinade with butter and a blend of herbs and spices
- Spread the butter and marinade under the skin to help keep the breast meat moist and flavorful
- Coat the entire chicken with marinade: top and bottom including under the wings
- Spray the chicken with a bit of oil before air frying to develop a crispy golden skin
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165ºF
- Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes after cooking to allow the juices to be re-absorbed into the meat
What can you serve with Roast Chicken
You can enjoy Roast Chicken with a wide variety of sides. We paired our Roast Chicken with some air fried potatoes and sweet bell peppers. Other great options to pair with Roast chicken include mashed potatoes, pasta, rice, quinoa, or couscous. If you want to go keto/low carb you can also pair Roast chicken with cauliflower rice or any vegetable you have on hand.
Can I make Roast Chicken ahead of time?
Roast Chicken is a great make-ahead meal and an excellent meal prep option for lunch or dinner during the week. When stored properly, Roast Chicken is good for 3-4 days in the fridge or you can also freeze it to extend its shelf life. When reheating a whole Roast Chicken, bake it in the Instant Pot Duo Crisp or oven at 325ºF for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF.
What if I don't have an Instant Pot Duo Crisp?
This Roast Chicken and Potatoes recipe was made using an Instant Pot Duo Crisp as this multi-functional One-Pot device can pressure cook the chicken and also air fry the exterior to give it a golden crispy skin. You can also make this recipe using any Instant Pot compatible with an Air Fryer Lid to achieve the same results.
If you don't have the air fry option, you can make this recipe in the Instant Pot and finish it using a conventional oven. Simply pressure cook the chicken and potatoes as instructed, and then bake the chicken, potatoes and peppers in the oven at 400ºF for 10-15 minutes or until they reach desired doneness.
- When checking the chicken for doneness we like to use the ThermoPro TP03 Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer as we find that it's easy to use and the readings are fast and accurate.
- This recipe was made with an Instant Pot Duo Crisp, a multi-use programmable cooker that can pressure cook, saute, slow cook, steam, sous vide, air fry, roast, bake, broil and dehydrate.
- If you don't have the air fry option, you can make this recipe using any Instant Pot compatible with an Air Fryer Lid to achieve the same results.
- If you don't have the air fry option, you can make this recipe in the Instant Pot and conventional oven. Pressure cook the chicken and potatoes, and then bake the chicken, potatoes and peppers in the oven at 400ºF for 10-15 minutes or until they reach desired doneness.