Beef and Broccoli
24 oz. 1" thick beef steak, your favorite cut
3 cups broccoli florets
1 onion, sliced
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, whole
2 tbsp garlic, minced
2 ginger slices
1 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
2 cups beef broth
3 tbsp cornstarch, mixed with water to make it soluble
4 cups water
2 cups brown rice, rinsed
1 tsp salt
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Estimated values based on one serving size.|
Place a trivet in the Instant Pot and add 1 cup of water
Place rinsed brown rice into a pan and lay on top of the trivet
Add 1 tsp of salt and 3 cups of water
Pressure cook for 25 minutes
Slice the onions and cut the broccoli
Heat the wok on high and add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil
Add the garlic cloves and ginger slices to the hot oil
Season the beef with salt & pepper
Place the beef into the wok and season the other side with salt and pepper
optional: Add some butter on top of the beef for added flavor
Sear the beef for 4 minutes on each side or until it reaches your desired doneness
Remove the beef when it's nicely browned and set it aside to rest
Add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil to the wok
Add the sliced onions and minced garlic
Stir-fry the onions and add 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper
Add the beef broth, light and dark soy sauces, oyster sauce, and sesame oil
Bring to a boil and mix in the broccoli
Place a cover over the broccoli and let it simmer for 3 minutes
Add the corn starch mixture 1 tbsp at a time to thicken the sauce until it reaches desired consistency
Slice the beef across the grain and lay on top of the broccoli
Serve beef and broccoli over brown rice
Beef and Broccoli
Easy Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry
This quick and easy Beef and Broccoli recipe is a delicious one-pot meal that your entire family will love. Served over nutritious brown rice, this hearty meal combines tender succulent beef with fresh broccoli all in a savory sauce. Healthier than ordering take-out, this tasty Beef and Broccoli stir-fry can be made right at home in under 30 minutes.
What is the best cut of beef for Beef and Broccoli?
There are many different types of beef that can be used in this Beef and Broccoli stir-fry, however, you don't necessarily need a very expensive cut of beef to make this delicious dish. We used 1" thick sirloin steak in our recipe however you can use your favorite cut of beef. Other great options include flank steak, beef tenderloin, skirt steak, and ribeye.
How do you tenderize beef for stir-fry?
Regardless of the cut of beef used, there are some easy ways to tenderize beef for stir fry.
- Physically tenderize the beef with a meat tenderizer to break down tough muscle fibers
- Marinate the beef with soy sauce, salt and a bit of baking soda to help break down the muscle fibers
- Sear the steak in a hot wok or skillet to seal in the juices
- Cook the beef low and slow so the muscle fibers have a chance to break down
- Alternatively, pressure cook the beef to break down the muscle fibers quickly
- Rest the steak for at least 5 minutes after cooking so the meat can re-absorb all the juicy moisture
- Slice the beef across the grain as it relaxes the muscle fibers and makes the beef more tender
Tips for making the best Beef and Broccoli
- Use a good cut of steak or ensure that you tenderize the beef well (see above for tips on how to tenderize beef for stir-fry.)
- Sear the steaks to seal in the juices. Use a cast iron wok or stir fry pan that retains and distributes heat evenly to ensure that the steak gets a nice sear on all sides and cooks evenly.
- Let the steak rest for at least 5 minutes after cooking so the meat can re-absorb all the tender juices.
- Make sure to use fresh garlic, ginger, and onions as these aromatics add a ton of flavor to the dish.
- Don't skip the soy sauce, oyster sauce or sesame oil as these sauces provide the perfect balance of savory seasoning.
- Don't over-cook the broccoli or else it will get too mushy. You want the texture of the broccoli to be tender yet crunchy to complement the soft tenderness of the beef.
- When slicing the beef, make sure to cut across the grain or else the long muscle fibers will be chewy and tough to eat
What can I serve with Beef & Broccoli?
Beef and Broccoli is traditionally served with white or brown rice so the rice can absorb the delicious savory sauce and be enjoyed together with each bite of the tender beef and broccoli. You can also serve beef and broccoli over noodles or pasta. If you prefer a low-carb option, you can enjoy this beef and broccoli dish on its own, or try serving this delicious stir-fry with cauliflower rice or over zucchini noodles.
Can I make Beef and Broccoli in an Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi?
We used a cast iron wok to make this Beef and Broccoli recipe since we like that cast iron retains and distributes heat evenly and gives a nice sear on all sides of the beef. This recipe can certainly be made using an Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi pressure cooker although it may not necessarily save more time than preparing this dish on your stovetop. The one bonus of using a pressure cooker to make this stir-fry dish is that you can pressure cook the beef to ensure that it is succulent and tender. If using your pressure cooker to make this Beef and Broccoli stir-fry dish, you can use all the same ingredients and follow these steps:
- Sear the beef on Sear/Saute High and set aside
- Saute the garlic, ginger, and onions and add the beef broth
- Add the steak back into the pot and Pressure Cook on High for 10 minutes
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then manually release any remaining pressure
- Add in the sesame oil and seasoning sauces
- Using the Saute-High mode, add the broccoli florets in with the beef and close the lid
- Allow the broccoli to simmer for 3-5 minutes or until tender
- Thicken the sauce with the corn starch mixture until it reaches desired consistency
Can I make Beef and Broccoli ahead of time?
Beef and Broccoli is a great make-ahead meal and reheats well for weekly meal-prep lunches and dinners. Simply add rice or noodles into a container and top with the beef and broccoli. Cover and refrigerate, then reheat on the stove or in the microwave and serve.
- We used 1" thick sirloin steak for this recipe however you can use any cut of steak you prefer
- This recipe was make using a Lodge Cast Iron Wok, a seasoned induction-compatible flat bottom wok. This cast iron wok retains and evenly distributes heat making it ideal for a stir-fry or saute.
- If you don't have a cast iron wok, you can make the recipe using a stainless steel Cuisinart Stir Fry Pan, a dishwasher safe induction-compatible pan that evenly distributes heat making it ideal for stir-fry and sautés.
- You can also make this recipe with an Instant Pot Duo, a multi-use programmable cooker that can pressure cook, saute, slow cook, steam, warm and also make yogurt and rice,
or a Ninja Foodi, a programmable multi-use pressure cooker that can also steam, saute, slow cook, dehydrate, bake, broil, roast and air crisp.